(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Pennsylvania Museum Bulletin. Number 53, January 1916"

■2. c) 



ma-ORiHu iMitii BHiRfltoiini 

1 mtogiffKBi 






HDD ailnOOO OF mDU^TRIflU ART 



(.tered Augo-t 



: Philadelpbifl. V&., a<, Second-Class Matter, undci: Act ot Congees* of Juiy 16, 1894 



PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

AND SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART 



»oar& of ZxnstecB 

The Governor of the State, Ex-Of. The Mayor of the City, Ex-Of. 

Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg Charles H. Hardikg Walter H. Rossmassler 

Charles Bond Thomas Skelton Harrison Theodore C. Search 

James Butterworth John Story Jenks Edgar V. Seeler 

John G. Carsuth John H. McFadden Mrs. Joseph P. Sinnott 

Harrington Fitzgerald John D. McIlhenny Edward T. Stotesburv 

Mrs. Henry S. Grove Mrs. Arthur V. Meigs James P. Sullivan 

John Gribbel John W. Pepper William 'Wood 

©mcera 

THEODORE C. SEARCH, President 
JOHN STORY JENKS, ' 



^ ^^», ^ ^.^^,,^T^ • Vice-Presidents 
JOHN G. CARRUTH, 

JAMES BUTTERWORTH, Treasurer 

EDWIN ATLEE BARBER, Secretary 

LESLIE W. MILLER, Principal of the Sriioui 



EDWIN ATLEE BARBER, Editor 



Bulletin 

jfot 3anuar?, Ttlinctcen 1Kunt)re^ an& Sirteen 
CONTENTS 

Ainerieanization through Art 1 

Special Exhibitions ... 3 

Notes ..... .12 

List of Accessions . 15 

Cknieral Information !<. 



BULLETIN 

OF 

THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 
JANUARY. 1916 FOURTEENTH YEAR Number 53 

AMERICANIZATION THROUGH ART 

The "Americanization through Art" exhibition which, with the approval 
of the Board of Trustees of the Pennsylvania ]\Iuseum. was arranged for by 
Mrs. Edward T. Stotesburj^ and a committee which she formed for the purpose, 
has drawn many visitors to Memorial Hall. A private view on January 19th, 
for which invitations were issued, brought out many of the most prominent 
people in the artistic and social life of the city. 

The exhibition was held in connection with a conference-dinner which 
was given by Mr. and Mrs. Edward T. Stotesbury for the representatives of 
the National Americanization Committee, and these distinguished \'isitors 
were included in the in^^tations to the private view. Among them were such 
well-known names as those of Mr. and Rlrs. Vincent Astor, Mr. Robert Bacon, 
Mr. Frank Trumbull, who is the chairman of the Americanization Committee, 
Felix Warburg, Clarence Gibbons, Mary Antin, and others whose names are 
familiar in the world of affairs or of sociology. 

Mrs. Stotesbury spared no effort to make the exhibition a success. She 
called to her assistance Miss Emily Sartain, of the School of Design for Women, 
Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson, Mr. John F. Lewis, president of the Academy of 
Fine Arts, Dr. Edwin AtLee Barber, Mr. Samuel S. Fleisher, director of the 
Graphic Sketch Club, Mr. John Albert Myers and Mr. Howard Fremont 
Stratton of the School of Industrial Art. Under their management the ex- 
hibition, entered upon with certain doubts as to the result, owing to the limits 
imposed by the conditions of ehgibility, grew in size and importance until it be- 
came a memorable display of the work of artists of foreign birth or parentage. 

The thought of attempting such an exhibition was suggested to a member 
of the committee by Mrs. Harry Payne Whitney's exhibit in New York, which 
was connected with Mrs. Vincent Astor's first dinner conference in October. 
That was a competitive exhibition for which Mrs. Whitney offered prizes 
amounting in the aggregate to $1,100 for the best works representing the immi- 
grant in art. It was the wish of the National Committee on Americanization 
that Mrs. Whitney's collection should be sent around the country in connection 
with such meetings in the large centers where an effort at Americanization 
was being developed. 



2 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

It seemed to the committee that in Pennsylvania — where the art life of 
the people, through splendid training schools, had been yielding such superb 
fruit' — it might be worth while to gather together the work of these foreign- 
bom artists and to show that the inspiration received was not altogether one- 
sided, and that many of these sons and daughters of foreign climes had brought 
with them rich natural gifts that only needed the opportunity to grow into an 
element of beauty that is enriching our American art life. 

The result has been amazing, even to those who evolved the thought. 
The committee was quite unprepared for the wealth of excellent work that was 
submitted in answer to the invitations sent out. The number of screens 
originally ordered had to be doubled and more, before hanging space could 
be secured for all that was worthy of acceptance by a discriminating hanging 
committee, and the local exhibition, in point of number, if in nothing else, 
quite outgrew that which had suggested it. Mrs. Whitnej^'s exhibit of seventy- 
three pieces became but a part of a notable exhibition of three hundred and 
twenty-four numbers, not including the exhibit of crafts. 

This response has been most gratifying to the committee, whose members 
fully appreciate the warm cordiality with which the artists invited to exhibit 
have met them and endeavored to make the event the success it has proved 
to be. 

Messrs. Polasek, Donato, Laessle, Portnoff, de' Nesti, Bilotti, and many 
other sculptors, not the least of whom is Maraffi, who besides exhibiting a 
charming Mother and Child, has an excellent portrait bust of Mr. Edward T. 
Stotesbury, which, with Polasek's wonderful bronze bust of J. Pierpont Morgan, 
attract much attention, are represented. In painting, can^'asses by Sejrffert, 
Raditz, Susan, Schofield, Wagner, Rittenberg, Sartain, Miss Emily Sartain, 
and many others do credit to the city. 

Prizes amounting to $2,200 have been offered by Mrs. Stotesbury, vice- 
chairman of the National Americanization Committee, to be divided among 
the classes represented as follows : 

Oil Painting S500 

Water Color Painting 500 

Sculpture 500 

Crafts 500 

Illustration 200 

These will be awarded toward the close of the exhibition in one or two prizes, 
as in the opinion of the jury of a^^'ard may be deemed wise. A prize also will 
be offered for etching, if in the opinion of the jury the exhibits are deemed worthy. 
The jury of award appointed b}' the committee are: 

Miss Cecelia Beaux 
George Walter Dawson 
Charles Grafly 
Edgar V. Seeler 
Jessie Wilcox Smith 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 3 

Preliminary to the exhibition, a competition was thrown open to students 
of the Academy of Fine Arts, the Pennsyh^ania School of Industrial Art and 
the Graphic Sketch Club, for the best poster, to be used for the meeting of 
the National Americanization Committee in this city and the "Americanization 
through Art" exhibition during the month when it would be open to the public. 
A great number of most admirable posters were received, a large majority of 
which showed talent. The first prize of one hundred dollars was awarded by 
the committee, of course in ignorance of the name or school of the competitors, 
to Mr. John W. Butler of the Graphic Sketch Club, as best expressing the thought 
of Mrs. Stotesbury's committee in getting up the exhibition. 

Mr. Harry Tedlie, of the Graphic Sketch Club, was awarded the second 
prize of twenty-fi\'e dollars. 

The Hanging Committee (Miss Sartain, Mr. John F. Lewis, and Mr. 
Samuel S. Fleisher) have done their work in a masterly way. The grouping 
of pictures on the screen presents to the eye a most artistic effect. Each screen 
has been fiUed with a \'iew to harmony, and there is hardly a discordant note 
in the numerous combinations. 

An illustrated catalogue will remain as a lasting memento of an event 
which long wiil- be remembered among the art lovers and the sociologists of 
this city. The exhibition is a serious one and one that must be a memorable 
one to all who attended it. Not only is it composed of the selected pieces 
from each atelier, making a peculiarly fine display of art, but sociologically it 
is of great value. 



SPECIAL EXHIBITIONS 

Since the publication of the October number of the Bulletin two special 
exhibitions have been held in the Museum. During the month of October 
the Museum's collection of tiles of various countries and periods, increased 
by numerous temporary loans, were placed on exhibition in the rotunda and 
attracted much attention. Many of the specimens have long been in storage 
for lack of space and were shown for the first time. The exhibition included 
examples of Egyptian wall frescoes, Roman floor mosaics and bricks, Saracenic 
and Persian panels, and tiles from India, China, Turkey, Spain, Mexico, Italy, 
Holland, Switzerland, England, Belgium, Germany, Russia and America. 
An illustrated descriptive catalogue of the exhibition was printed for the use 
of visitors. 

The large tiles from the nearer East, in the John T. Morris collection, 
which filled one case, formed the principal center of attraction. Among these 
is an architectural panel, measuring 8 by 14| inches, covered with a white 
stanniferous enamel decorated with part of a bold cufic inscription in relief, 
outlined with brown on a ground of deep blue, through the center of which 
runs a narrow band of pale green enamel containing an embossed inscription 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 




1. Tin Enameled Tile Panel 
India, Seventeenth Century 




2. Tin Enameled Frieze Tile 
Saracenic, Thirteenth Century 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANL\ MUSEUM 




3. Tin Enameled Corner Tile 
Samarkand, Sixteenth Century 




Glass Glazed Mosaic Design 
Kashi Work 
Persia, Sixteenth Century 



6 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANL\ MUSEUM 

in turquoise blue. The design is heightened with touches of red and yellow 
color. This example was thought to be Persian, but it is now believed to be 
East Indian, of the sixteenth or seventeenth centurj^ (No. 1). 

Another distinguished specimen is a comer tile from a frieze, whose dimen- 
sions are 13| by 14 inches. It is also embellished in relief with a portion of 
an inscription, the characters being enameled in deep blue, surrounded by a 
luster ground with bird and floral designs reserved in the white tin enameled 
ground. It shows Saracenic influence and is attributed to Persia and to the 
thirteenth century (No. 2). 

A rare architectural corner tile, 6| by 8h inches, with a deeply recessed 
pattern, covered with black, white and light green enamel, previously classed 




5. Tin En.\meled Tile 
Seventeenth Century 

with Persian tiles, has been definitely identified as from Samarkand in central 
Asia, and belongs to the sixteenth century (No. 3). 

Of a somewhat similar character is a 10-inch square tile with raised char- 
acters in dark blue on an arabesque ground of luster. The framework at two 
sides is decorated in relief in pale turquoise green on a luster ground. It came 
from the mosque of Kashan and is attributed to the thirteenth century. 

Of an entirely different nature is a design from the Blue Mosque of Tabriz, 
Persia, dating from the sixteenth centiu-y. Instead of being painted in luster 
on a white tin enameled ground, the decoration is formed of thin sheets of glass 
of ^'arious colors — black, turquoise blue and brownish yellow- — cut into shape 
and applied to a flat surface of lime mortar in the mamier of mosaic work, and 




6. Tin Enameled Stove Tile 
Hamburg, Germany, Seventeenth Century 




7. Tin Enameled Stove Tile 
Hamburg, Germany, Eighteenth Century 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 




S. Slip Decorated Tile 
Niederrhein, Germany, 179-t 




^cii m-u 



^<v ;«<•;« j;i.>c., '^'cf^n r<,t^if 



9. Slip Decorated Tile 
Niederrhein, Germany, 1794 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 9 

known as Kashi work. In the black field of the design is an inscription inlaid 
in white glass. This style of treatment is found in Persia and certain parts of 
India (No, 4). 

A fine example, of the seventeenth century, measuring 10 by 10 inches, 
of the Rhodian style, but probably made at Awub, a suburb of Stamboul, is 
a tile, in which the tulip and carnation, so characteristic of the art of the nearer 
East, are conspicuous. Prominent among the bright colors beneath the trans- 
parent glass glaze is a sealing-wax red in raised paste which is a feature of both 
the Rhodian and Turkish pottery. One comer has been cut off to permit the 
tile to be used in the lower section of a panel in which the tiles are set in lozenge 
form (No. 5). 

The German stove tiles of the Bloomfield Moore collection include an 
interesting example of stanniferous enamel procured from the Hamburg Musevim. 
It measures 7 by 7f inches and in design shows the influence of the nearer 
East. The decoration in white is in relief, on a ground of dark blue. Such 
tiles were produced both at Hamburg and Liineburg, Germany, and are of the 
seventeenth century (No. 6). 

A series of large stove tiles measuring about 1 1 by 12| inches, are decorated 
with painted figure scenes in blue on a white tin enameled surface. They are 
from Hamburg and belong to the middle of the eighteenth centurj'. The one 
here shown represents a woman seated in a garden surrounded by amorini (No. 7) . 

Two slip-decorated tiles with sgraffito designs, made by a peasant potter 
of Niederrhein, Germany, are of especial interest as examples of that class of 
pottery from which the Pennsjdvania-German craftsmen drew their inspiration 
for the homely but decorative ware which was made extensively in Montgomery 
and Bucks counties through the eighteenth century. They are 7f inches 
square, of common red clay, covered on the upper surface with white slip 
touched with green, through which the outlines and inscriptions, in German 
dialect, have been scratched. They bear the date 1794. Their close relation 
to the Pennsylvania pottery, of which the Museum possesses the finest col- 
lection in existence, will be apparent to the most casual observer (Nos. 8 and 9). 

A feature of the collection is the extensive group of Mexican maiolica 
tiles, probably the largest in existence, which illustrates adequately the various 
decorative styles produced at Puebla under Spanish influence from 1650 to 1850. 

A loan exhibition of tapestries, assembled and arranged by Mr. George 
Leland Hunter of New York, was open to the public from October 25th to 
November 7 th. A descriptive catalogue, illustrated with engra\angs of many 
of the most noteworthy examples, was issued for the occasion, and was in such 
great demand that a second edition was printed. The collection consisted 
of eighty-five numbers, the majority of which were brought from New York, 
but many of the most important were contributed by local collectors. Lecture 
promenades, by special appointment, were arranged by Mr. Hunter, who 
conducted visitors through the galleries, explaining the history and artistic 
significance of the tapestries. To accommodate all of the schools and societies 
which made application it was necessary to arrange three and four "walk talks" 
each day, the number in attendance varying from fifty persons to one thousand. 
At the opening of the exhibition, on October 25th, a private view of the tapes- 




o 
o 

Pi 






o 

o 
z 

w 

2 

o 

I 

z 

o 










o 



< 



z; 

o 
u 









12 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

tries was given to invited guests, on which occasion the Associate Committee 
of Women to the Board of Trustees acted as hostesses at a reception and tea, 
when over seven hundred of Philadelphia's most prominent citizens were in 
attendance. The exhibition is believed to have been the most important of 
the kind ever held in this country. 



NOTES 

Exhibitions. — Several special exhibitions at the Museum are being planned 
for the winter and spring. 



Cover Design. — The cover design for this number of the Bulletin has 
been drawn by Dorothea S. Dallett, a student of the School. 



Advertising Cards. — A contract has been entered into for the adver- 
tising of the Museum during 1916 by cards, to be placed in the street cars of 
the city, which will be specially designed bj^ pupils of the School. 

* Jf! H^ 

New Cases. — Twelve new table cases have been purchased for showing 
small objects, in connection with the special exhibitions which are being arranged. 



School News. — Mrs. Frederic W. W. Graham presented to the School 
a replica of the hanging candelabra which Albrecht Durer made and presented 
to his wife; Mr. William S. Button, a New England wool-spinning wheel, a 
pair of snow shoes and a number of prints and pamphlets; Mr. E. H. Thompson, 
a collection of Yucatan butterflies. 

The Principal of the Psychean School has again offered two scholarships 
to pupils here. These have been awarded to Miss Vera S. Bashelier and Mr. 
Leon William Corson. 

The Evening Costume class has grown from a registration of seven pupils 
for the entire last season, to twenty-two at the end of the first month this year, 
and now forms an independent course. The work has been placed in charge 
of Mr. W. Gordon Thayer, a graduate, and he will develop the pageantry feature 
in the historic costume study. The limited time of this class (only six hours 
a week) reduces the result in bulk, but as almost all the members are practical 
dressmakers, the direct application of the instruction is insured. In both the 
day and evening classes a costume is required to be designed and made b)' each 
student, and becomes the property of the School. This season, the periods 
will be limited to the Florentine and Venetian renaissance, mth a small number 
of Egyptian dresses. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 13 

There was an enrolment of twenty-eight students during the first month 
in the new evening class in "Principles of Interior Decoration." The method 
of instruction interests a larger number than have ever been attracted before 
with the regular course in Interior Decoration. 

The extension of the Saturday morning Normal Class to a two year's 
certificate course induced twenty teachers to return this year. The better 
accommodation for the class in jewelry and silver work has filled it to its 
capacity. 

The work of Mr. Yellin which was included in the School display at Wash- 
ington, was sent to the Craft exhibition at the Chicago Art Institute, and the 
trustees of that institution have decided to buy some samples to remain in 
the Museum's permanent collection as the best work in iron of any American 
craftsman. The Federation of Arts, under whose auspices the exhibit was 
held, has requested, and secured, another collection from the School to send 
to Texas and other Southern States, on a circuit covering the greater part of 
a year. 

The Alumni Association has forwarded exhibits of School work to the 
West Chester Normal School for the County Institute, and another representa- 
tive exhibit was sent to Chisholm, Minnesota. Requests for exhibits have 
been received from Upper Darby, Pa., and from Houston, Texas, for craft 
work. The latter request has been forwarded through the American Federa- 
tion of Arts. 

Miss EUen Matlock presented several parts of costumes of 1855; Mr. 
Abbot McClure, a wrought iron door hinge of the seventeenth century, from 
an old Dutch house at Shirley, New York; Miss Otilie Bachmann, a quantitj^ 
of velvets, silks, and satins, for use in the Costume Class. 

An exhibition of School work, held at the Lincoln Building, Broad Street 
and South Penn Square, was opened Monday, November 15th, and continued 
for two weeks. The collection was formed upon the nucleus of that shown 
at the new National Aluseum, Washington, from May to September, the chief 
additions being the stoneware and sgraffito pottery, to the development of 
which much effort has been given. The place for exhibition was secured by 
Mr. Mcllhenney, and the display was arranged by Mr. Scott, Mr. Ege, and 
other officers and members of the Alumni Association, who also had charge 
of the room during the hours it was open to the public, and made daily written 
reports, which contained many items of interest. The attendance was very 
satisfactory. Approval was evoked by the industrial character of the art, 
and its manifestation in practical forms. Many would-be purchasers of objects 
were disappointed to find nothing for sale. 

The first prize of $50.00 in decorati^'e art, at the Twelfth Annual Com- 
petitive Exhibit for Art Students, held at the Wanamaker display, was won 
by Conrad Dickel and Miss Margaret Aver won a $10.00 prize. There were 
six hundred entries in this competition. In the contest for the poster for the 
Board of Managers of the Northern Home, Earl J. Taylor was the successful 
competitor. Among one hundred competitors, Robert Baur was again this 
season the successful prize winner for the poster advertising the Philadelphia 
automobile show. Out of the whole number of designs submitted three were 



14 BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

selected by the committee for final judgment for the prize, and both the first 
and second choice were by Baur. The third selection was also by one of our 
pupils, Louis Ewald. An additional prize of $10.00 has been offered for the best 
design advertising the entertainment to be given under the auspices of the 
Associate Committee of Women at the Belleioie-Stratford, Thursdav, Januarv 
13, 1916. 

Eighty per cent of the students in the fourth year Normal Class are now 
gaining valuable experience in teaching and supervising the art instruction 
in suburban schools, one or more days each week. The class room results are 
submitted for criticisms and directions for developments. Several most favor- 
able reports have been received from school districts where this method is 
being tried, and indications point to a continuance of the plan. 

February 22, 1916, has been definitely chosen as the date for the masque 
to be presented by the combined art organizations of Philadelphia, at the 
Academy of Music, in which this School will ha^'e to sustain its part. The 
theme of the masque is Greek, and it is planned to produce a more consistent 
and complete whole than was displayed last 3'ear, with the widely divergent 
periods chosen by the different organizations. 

Mr. Vanderlip, the president of the new Minneapolis Museum of Art, 
paid a visit to the School during the Thanksgiving holidays, and was accom- 
panied by Mrs. Vanderlip, ^^'ho, with her brother, is about to present that 
city with a complete art school building, and the}- will return here the first of 
February to inspect carefully the plan and methods of this Department, which 
they wish to take as their model. 

Mrs. James Mifflin has presented to the Alumni Library seven richly 
illustrated books of travel; Miss Trotter has donated to the School an Itahan 
marble pedestal, and statue of "Rebecca at the Well"; Mr. Jerome L. Ferris 
and his sister, Mrs. Smith, four casts of heads, a death mask and hand of Fortuny, 
with relics from his studio, and the certificate of the first share of stock of the 
Centennial Exhibition, which was issued to their father, Mr. Stephen J. Ferris, 
who was the designer of the certificate. These, with some other art objects 
from the Darley collection, are to be lent to the Public Art Museum, at Reading, 
Pennsylvania, for temporary exhibition, in furtherance of the idea of fostering 
the growth of such museums throughout the state. 



BULLETIN OF THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 



15 



ACCESSIONS 
October — December, 1915 



CLASS 



Carvings 
Ceramics 



Furniture 
Glass 



Goldsmith's 
and 

Silversmith's 
Work 

Metalwork 



Textiles 



Miscellaneous 



OBJECT 



Carved Figure, Angel with Halberd, Austrian 

Porcelain Vase, by Tucker & Hemphill, Philadelphia, 
c. 1832 

Porcelain Plate, Japan 

Porcelain Cup and Saucer, Toy, English, c. 1 820 

Porcelain Cup and Saucer, Canton, China, c. 1800. . . 

Pottery Pitcher and Bowl. Staffordshire, England, c. 
1830 

2 Porcelain Vases. French 

2 Pottery Vases, Italian 

2 Pottery Souvenir Cups, by Doulton. Burslem, 
England, 1897 

6 Pieces of Pottery, Maya Indian. Chichen Itza 
District. Yucatan. Tenth Century 

2 Pottery Flower Pots, Pennsylvania-German, Nine- 
teenth Century 

Stoneware Jug, Philadelphia. 1876 

2 Tile Panels, Cuenca Style. Seville. Spain, Seven- 
teenth Century 



HOW ACQUIRED 



Two Carved Wooden Chests . 



Chalice, from Church in Vincennes, Indiana 

Engraved Covered Glass, Germany, Eighteenth 
Century 



28 Gold. Silver and Gilt Fob Keys 

Salt Cellar, Silver Plate on Copper. Sheffield, England 

2 Sugar Baskets. Silver Plate on Copper, Sheffield, 

England 



Dutch Oven, Tin, American. Nineteenth Century. . . 

2 Souvenir Cups. Enamel on Metal. English 

Bowl, Enamel on Brass. India. Nineteenth Century 

3 Iron Stove Plates, Pennsylvania-German. Eigh- I 
teenth and Nineteenth Centuries 

Japanned Tin Tray, American, c. 1860 

Pewter Tankard, by F. Bassett, New York. c. 1800. . 

3 Renaissance Tapestries 

9 Dolls 

Doll. American, 1857 

Embroidery. Bulgarian 

Silk Cap, Holland, c. 1 800 

42 Pieces of Persian Textiles, Seventeenth and Eigh- 
teenth Centuries 

2 Embroidered Coats. French. Period of Louis XVI. . 



Painted Work Box, American, c. 1800. 
Wax Model, Basket and Fruit 



Given by Mrs. James Mifflin. 



Lent by Dr. E. A. Barber. 

Given by Mrs. Hampton L. Carson. 

> Given by Miss Mary Howley. 



Given by Mrs. James Mifflin, 

■ By Purchase. 

Lent by Mr. John D, Mcllhenny. 
Lent by Mrs. Mary Moore Chadwick. 
Lent by Mrs. Miles White. Jr. 

Lent by Mr. Mover Fleisher. 

1 

I- By Purchase. 

J 

Given by Mrs. William D. Frishmuth. 
Given by Mrs. James Mifflin. 

[ Bv Purchase. 



Lent by Mr. D. M. Barringer. 
Lent by Miss Mary E. Sinnott. 
\ Given by Mrs. John W. Coles. 
Given by Mrs. C. Righter. 

By Purchase. 

Given by Mrs. C. Righter. 
Given by Dr. Andrew A. Cairns. 



MEMBERSHIP 

The Trustees of the Pennsylvania Museum 
and School of Industrial Art desire the 
active co-operation of all public-spirited 
citizens who are known to be in sympathy 
with its educational work. All such persons 
are invited to become members. 

CLASSIFICATION OF MEMBERS 

Patron Members in Perpetuity — Those 
who contribute the sum of S5000 or more 
whether in money or objects for the Museum. 

Fellowship Members in Perpetuity — Those 
who contribute Si 000 at one time. 

Life Members — Those who contribute the 
sum of $100 or more at one time. 

Annual Members — Those who contribute 
not less than §10 yearly. 

The contributions received from Patrons 
($5000), and from Life Members (SlOO), are 
added to the permanent Endowment Fund. 
Contributions from Annual Alembers ($10) 
are used to the best advantage in the de- 
velopment of the Museum and the School. 

ADVANTAGES OF MEMBERSHIP 

All members are entitled to the following 
benefits : 

The right to vote and transact business 
at the Annual Meeting. 

Invitations to all general receptions and 
exhibitions held at the Museum and the 
School. 

Free access to the Museum and School 
Libraries and admission to all lectures. 

Also a copy of each of the following pub- 
lications: 

The Annual Report of the Corporation. 

The Annual Circulars of the School of 
Applied Art and the Pliiladelphia Textile 
School. 

The Art Handbooks and Art Primers, 
issued from time to time by the Museum 
(a printed list of publications will be mailed 
to any member on application). 

The Illustrated Quarterly Bulletin of the 
Museum. 

A list of members is published each year 
in the Annual Report. 

Apphcations for membership, and remit- 
tances should be sent to the Secretary, 
P. M. & S. I. A., Memorial Hall, Fairmount 
Park, Philadelphia, Pa. 

HOURS OF ADMISSION 

The Museum is open, free to the public, 
every day in the year. 
Opening Hours: 
Mondays at 12 M. 
Other Week Days at 9.30 A. M. 
Sundays at 1 P. M. 
Closing Hours: 

During the summer months, 5 P. M. 

(Sundays, 6 P. M.) 
During the winter months, a half hour 
before sunset. , 



CATALOGUES, HANDBOOKS, ETC. 

(On sale at the South Entrance) 

Handbook of the Museum $0. 25 

A Brief History of the Bayeux Tapestry . 10 
Cork Models of Windsor Castle, Tower 
of London, Westminster Abbey, 

Church of St. Peter, Rome 10 

The Great Seals of England 25 

Handbook of the Collection of Tulip 
Ware of the Pennsylvania-German 
Potters: 

Paper cover 1 . 00 

Large paper edition. Cloth 5 . 00 

Handbook of the Maiolica of Mexico: 

Paper cover 1.00 

Flexible Art Canvas 2 . 00 

Art Primer No. 3, Lead Glazed Pottery .50 
Art Primer No. 5, Tin Enameled Pot- 
tery 50 

Art Primer No. 6, Salt Glazed Stone- 
ware 50 

Art Primer No. 9, Hard Paste Porce- 
lain 50 

Art Primer No. II, Artificial Soft Paste 

Porcelain. . . , 50 

Bulletin of the Pennsylvania A'luseum 
(quarterl}') , per annum 1 . 00 



Friends of the Institution who desire 
to devise to it money should use the fol- 
lowing: 

Form of Bequest 

I give and bequeath unto the Pennsyl- 
vania Museum and School of Industrial Art 

the sum of dollars 

for the use of the said Corporation. 

Witnesses 



Form of Devise of Real Estate 

I give and devise unto the Pennsylvania 
Museum and School of Industrial Art, its 
successors and assigns, all that certain (here 
insert a description of the property) for the 
use of the said Corporation. 



Witnesses.- 



PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM 

AND SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART 



MUSEUM COMMITTEE 



John Story Jenks, Chairman 

Thomas Skelton Harrison 

John H. McFadden 

John D. McIlhenny 

John W. Pepper 

Miss Elizabeth C. Roberts 



Edgar V. Seeler 
Mrs. W. T. Carter 
Mrs. W.' D. Frishmuth 
Mrs. John Harrison 
Miss Fannie S. Magee 
Mrs. Edward T. Stotesbury 



Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg, Ex-Officio 

Edwin AtLee Barber, Director of the Museum 
Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson, Assistant Curator and Lecturer 

HONORARY CURATORS 

Textiles, Lace and Embroidery Mrs. John Harrison 

Uriental Pottery Mrs. Jones Wister 



European Porcelain . 

Arms and Armor 

Furniture and Woodwork 
Musical Instruments. . . 

Numismatics 

Sculpture, Marbles and Casts 



Rev. Alfred Duane Pell. 
Cornelius Stevenson 
GUSTAV Ketterer 
Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth 
F. D. Langenheim 
Alexander Stirling Calder 



instruction committee 



Theodore C. Search, Chairman 
Charles Bond 
Mrs. John Harrison 
Thomas Skelton Harrison 
John Story Jenks 
John D. McIlhenny 
Edgar V. Seeler 
J.^mes F. Sullivan 
William Wood 

Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg, Ex-Officio 



Mrs. F. K. Hipple 
Miss Nina Lea 
Mrs. Arthur V. Meigs 
Mrs. Thomas Roberts 
Mrs. Joseph F. Sinnott 
Mrs. C. Shillard Smith 
Mrs. John Wister 
Mrs. Jones Wister 



associate committee of women to the board of trustees 

President 
Mrs. Rudolph Blankenburg 
Fiist Vice-President S«<=o>"l Vice-President 

Miss Nina Lea. Mrs. C. Leland Harrison 



Secretary 
Mrs. Henry S. Grove 



Treasurer 
Mrs. Joseph F. Sinnott" 



Mrs. Edwin Swift Balch 

Mrs. Jasper Yeates Brinton 

.Mrs. John H. Brinton 

Mrs. William T. Carter 

Miss Margaret Clyde 

MiSS Ada M. Crozer 

Mrs. D.wid E. D,vll.\m 

CuusTEss Santa Eulalia 

Miss Cornelia L. Ewing 

Mrs. George Harrison Frazier Mrs. 

Mrs. W. D. Frishmuth Mrs. 

Mrs. W. W. GiBBs Mrs. 



Mrs. 
Miss 

M RS. 

Mrs. 
Mrs. 
Mrs. 
Mrs. 
Mrs. 
Mrs. 



John Harrison 

M. S. HiNCHMAN 

F. K. HiPPLE 
Harold W. How 
J. L. Ketterlinus 
George G. M. Large 
Robert R. Logan 
Howard Longstreth 
Arthur V. Meigs 
James Mifflin 
Francis F. Milne 
Thornton Oakley 



Hampton 1 ouu 



HONORARY MEMBERS 

MiS.. 17....... .: M ., ,; 



Mrs. Charles Platt, in 
Mrs. Thomas Roberts 
Miss Mary E. Sinnoti 
Mrs. C. Shillard Smith 
Mrs. Cornelius Stevenson 
Mrs. Edward T. Stotesburv 
Mrs. William H. Walbaum 
Mrs. a. B. Weimer 
Mrs. John Wister 
Mrs. Jones Wister 



Mis-, Elizabeth C. RouEi<r>